Pro Bono to Honor Those Who Serve
“In an unbroken line of valor stretching across more than two centuries, our veterans have charged into harm’s way, sometimes making the ultimate sacrifice, to protect the freedoms that have blessed America. Whether Active Duty, Reserve, or National Guard, they are our Nation’s finest citizens, and they have shown the heights to which Americans can rise when asked and inspired to do so.” — President Barack Obama (2010)
This Veterans Day, Americans will recognize the sacrifices of the country’s veterans with parades, memorials, and tokens of appreciation. Providing pro bono services to eligible veterans is a unique opportunity for lawyers to repay those who served our country. Inspiring examples of pro bono work for our veterans include:
- Hewlett-Packard Company’s** signature project to assist veterans throughout the year;
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP’s*† work on a class-action lawsuit on behalf of more than 4,300 Iraq and Afghanistan veterans with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, who had been illegally denied the monetary and medical benefits to which they are entitled by statute;
- Morrison & Foerster LLP’s*† representation that resulted in a landmark decision that veterans who apply for benefits, not just those who already receive them, have a right of due process under the Fifth Amendment; and
- Verizon Communications Inc.** in partnership with DLA Piper LLP (US)’s* support for disabled veterans who are eligible to receive Combat-Related Special Compensation from the Department of Defense. In addition, the DLA Piper San Diego offices operate a signature project, Serving Those Who Serve Our Country, which is dedicated to providing legal and community services to the veteran and active duty military population of San Diego County.
How are you honoring our veterans through pro bono service? Leave a comment and share your experience.
And look for more guidance on veteran-related pro bono issues at the 2012 PBI Annual Conference, March 28-30, in Washington, D.C.
* denotes a Signatory to the Law Firm Pro Bono Challenge®
** denotes a Signatory to the Corporate Pro Bono ChallengeSM
† denotes a Member of the Law Firm Pro Bono Project